Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bringing DJ HeroBack


Now this blog is more on the unbiased analytical side, its not really much of a fan blog or a fan site. We usually keep all major personal opinions to ourselves while discussing what we should see in the next generation of gaming. All this is going to be put aside because there is a cancelled franchise that needs to rise from the dead. For the sake of the world of quality gaming, we need this back.


I want DJ Hero back.





We need DJ Hero back.

Activision canned the franchise in 2010 after sluggish sales and a noticing of the dying of the music genre (the dancing genre however is picking up). But it was hands-down one of the best new franchises from the seventh generation, and the best new musical franchise. DJ Hero was one of the best games of the past decade as it introduced a new way of playing video games. And after the sequel, the franchise was already matching the quality and acclaim heights of the Rock Band series and the earlier Guitar Hero titles. Two games in and we were barely scratching (pun intended) the surface of what we can accomplish with the DJ Hero brand.


Someone needs to whether buy this franchise, or Activision should bring it back. But I want it back. Now. I want to be able to scratch Daft Punk classics. I want to be able to imitate the works of Grandmaster Flash, DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ A.M. (r.i.p), David Guetta, Deadmau5, and other very talented DJs in the Western Hemisphere scene. I want to be able to scratch excellent mixes being done by the surprisingly talented in-house development team of FreeStyle Games. DJ Hero does such a great job they make overrated and undertalented artists like Black Eyed Peas and Kanye West bearable.




And now, looking ahead (and using my imagination): I want to be able to create my own mixes; I want to be able to mix-up and mash my list of songs, and then upload them for other gamers around the world to download. I want to be able to compete in DJ tournaments online and try to top other scores of aspiring DJs across the board. I want professional DJs like Daft Punk and RZA to continuously upload some of their mixes for us to download and mess around with. I want to be able to create my own dance club and set it up in my way for me to able to watch my creation bounce around to the latest beat. The sky was the limit with DJ Hero and its infectious and clever gameplay. Unfortunately, unless a revival is in order next generation, we may have just seen the last of a potentially incredibly awesome franchise.




Bottom Line: DJ Hero was an excellent idea well-executed in its first couple games, but with so much more room to grow. It was one of those few cases of a series of games being made exclusively for the hardcore, for a specific crowd as opposed to trying to adapt fully to the mainstream. If you need any proof, point to the music and the artists associated with said games. DJ Hero could have expanded to a point in which we have hundreds of gamers creating their own mixes and sharing them with the world, leading to an online experience that you wouldn’t get anywhere else. But as of now all we can do is hang on to our dreams and hang on to the two great games that have already come out. One thing is certain though:





I want my DJ Hero back.



Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment